What you are required to do?
There are five basic steps which make up the Accessible Information Standard.
- Ask: identify / find out if an individual has any communication / information needs relating to a disability or sensory loss and if so what they are.
- Record: record those needs in a clear, unambiguous and standardised way in electronic and / or paper based record / administrative systems / documents.
- Alert / flag / highlight: ensure that recorded needs are ‘highly visible’ whenever the individual’s record is accessed, and prompt for action.
- Share: include information about individuals’ information / communication needs as part of existing data sharing processes (and in line with existing information governance frameworks).
- Act: take steps to ensure that individuals receive information which they can access and understand, and receive communication support if they need it.